WEEK 2: Exercise for Wellness
- Read Session 2: Pg. 18-23
- Track your physical activity (using your pedometer and also writing down the minutes of intentional exercise). GOALS for this week are to continue tracking your current activity and also do the 15 minute workout 2x this week. Based on the logs you send me, we will start working on individualized goals for your physical activity.
- Track your fruit and vegetable intake. Write down when, what and how much fruit and vegetable you are eating. Based on the logs you send me, we will start working on individualized goals for your nutrition intake.
Watch this webinar covering exercise and well-being for cancer survivors! I recorded it just for you. 🙂
WEEK 1: Take Control of Your Survivorship & Nutrition Beyond Cancer
- Read Session 1: Pg. 5-12
- Read Session 4: Pg. 41-51 (note – I am not a proponent that you need to measure your BMI. I prefer to focus on your eating behaviors. I suggest skipping over the BMI and obesity sections on pg 47-48. Focus on the tips on page 49).
- Optional extra reading: Facing Forward Life After Cancer Treatment
- Track your physical activity (using your pedometer and also writing down the minutes of intentional exercise). GOALS for this week are to TRACK your current activity and also do the 15 minute workout 2x this week.
- Track your fruit and vegetable intake. Write down when, what and how much fruit and vegetable you are eating. The goal for this week is to get used to tracking and figure out your current intake. We are not setting specific goals yet, until we know what your current habits are! 🙂
Check out this video called Lost in Transition about transitioning from active treatment to survivorship care (lasts about 20 minutes).
Also review my webinar on Plant Based Diets for Cancer Survivors:
CHAPTER 1 – Get back to wellness: Take control of your survivorship.
- When it comes to survivorship, sometimes we don’t know how to express ourselves, or even aware of exactly what we’re feeling. That’s ok!
- Page 10 in our workbooks show us examples of things we can strive to achieve for a better quality of life. Which of these things do you find helps you? Is there anything you want to try in the next week?
CHAPTER 4 – Nutrition Beyond Cancer
- There’s no one food or nutrient that will cure, or prevent cancer. However, we know that eating plenty of plant foods each day can help give our bodies the tools it needs to function!
- Get plenty of phytochemicals by consuming fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds every day! For more on this, check out my article here: This is What’s Wrong With America’s Diet!
- Use the plate guide to determine if you are having the correct ratios at your meals. By having the right combination of foods on your plate, you will provide your body with the energy, protein and phytochemicals it needs to get you until the next time you eat! Cover 1/2 your plate with fruit and/or veggies; 1/4 of your plate with protein (either animal or plant protein) and 1/4 of your plate with whole grains.
- Remember that you are allowed to enjoy treats! As long as your ratio of “food to fuel your body” vs “food to fuel your soul” is about 80% to 20%, you are doing well!