We are excited to announce the 2021 Survivor’s Week of Events! You are invited to register and join for one, two or ALL of the sessions! All sessions will be live via zoom and also broadcasted live on the Cancer Services YouTube channel. Recordings will be available as well, so you don’t have to worry about missing a session if the time doesn’t fit your schedule.
Complete the information needed and click “subscribe” to register!
Schedule of Events
- Tuesday June 1st – 10:00am-11:30am Webinar – Tuesday June 1st – 10:00am-11:30am Webinar – Sleep, Stress & Anxiety, Oh My!
Join us as the Novant Health care team explores ways to manage these ailments and improve your quality of life. Learn to take back control of the lions, tigers and bears with Katie Miller, Board Certified Clinical Oncology Pharmacist, Cameron Sweeney, PA-C, MMS, Jonathan McGuirt, PA, MPH, and Moderated by Cancer Services.
- Tuesday June 1st – 6:00pm-7:30pm Hispanic Webinar — Sobrevivientes – Virtual Survivor Program in Spanish
- Wednesday June 2nd – 3:30pm-4:30pm Webinar – Chair Yoga for Cancer Patients/Survivors and Caregivers
Led by Angela Gallagher, certified yoga instructor: Join us for this gentle yoga class focusing on relaxation, stress reduction, and breathing techniques.
- Thursday June 3rd – 6:00pm-7:30pm Webinar – Loneliness and Isolation – Cancer and Covid-19 Created the “Perfect Storm”. Discussion led by WFBH: Dr. Richard McQuellon, Ben Curti, Recreational Therapy, and Angela Brown, Chaplain, and Typhany Morrison-Brooks, Patient Advocate with Cancer Services. Learn ways to combat loneliness and isolation and when and where it is safe to go out again.
- Friday June 4th – 12:00noon – 1pm Webinar – Cook to Thrive: Comfort Foods. Join Julie “The Cancer Dietitian” for this cook-along session where she will teach you some delicious and nutritious comfort food recipes to assist in your self-care!
- Saturday June 5th – 10:00 am Webinar – Survivors Week Celebration Party!!! Hosted by Julie Lanford, Wellness Director, Cancer Services and Dr. Stacy Wentworth, Medical Director of Survivorship, Wake Forest Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Survivors Week Planning Committee. You will not want to miss this fun-filled time of celebration and appreciation!
2021 Patient Advocate Awards
20 Years ago, Cancer Services began recognizing individuals in our community who “do anything, anytime and in any way they can to make a positive difference in the lives of those living with cancer.” We are proud to announce the 2021 recipients. We are grateful for having such amazing, compassionate and strong patient advocates partnering with us!
Our community is better off because of these amazing people!
Dr. Judith Hopkins, Medical Oncologist with Novant Health Cancer Institute
Thuy My Vu, Genetic Counselor with Wake Forest Baptist Health Comprehensive Cancer Center
Sheryl Thorpe, retired nurse and volunteer with Cancer Services, Inc.