This week’s updates:
- Survivors Week Announcement!
- Upcoming programs
- Cook to Thrive! cooking class recipes and recording
- Hirsch Wellness Programs
- Coronavirus Quick Links
- You Are Not Alone: Connect with us on Facebook, Youtube, via our podcast, the Triad Cancer Connection, and our new Instagram page!
Survivors Week Update!
The Cancer Survivors Week Committee, including staff from Cancer Services, Novant Health and Wake Forest Baptist Health, have been working hard to come up with an fun week of activities to celebrate survivorship. We have planned a virtual Survivors Week for August 10 – August 15, full of webinars that will end with an online party. You are invited!
RSVP at www.cancerservicesonline.org/survivorsweek
Schedule of Events
Monday August 10th
- 10:00 am Webinar – Exercise: Just Get Up and Move!
Fitness workout directed by Melissa Moore, Exercise Physiologist and CancerFITT Coordinator at WFBH High Point Medical Center. Join us for a work-out that can fit in anyone’s schedule and be modified to anyone’s fitness level!
Tuesday August 11th
- 12:00 pm Webinar – Survivorship and Integrative Medicine
Discussion led by Novant Health: Dr. Judith Hopkins, Medical Oncologist, Dr. Russ Greenfield, Integrative Medicine and Kim DeRhodes, Pharmacist. Learn how to maximize wellness, decrease stress and be your best self!
Wednesday August 12th
- 8:00 pm Webinar –Meal Planning Tips and Tricks
Led by Julie Lanford – The Cancer Dietitian. Hear ways to make eating healthy easy, fun and less time consuming.
Thursday August 13th
- 7:00 pm Webinar – The Importance of Communicating
Discussion led by WFBH: Dr. Karen Winkfield, Head of the Office of Cancer Health Equity, Radiation Oncologist, and Dr. Stacy Wentworth, Medical Director of Survivorship, Radiation Oncologist. Join us for a frank discussion about communicating with your healthcare providers, accessing the care you need, and advocating for yourself and loved ones.
Friday August 14th
- 2:00 pm Webinar – Art + Wellness with The Sawtooth
Activity led by instructor Joyce Teta, Artist and Cancer Survivor. Take an hour of time to escape and let this art project introduce you to Art + Wellness. We will use Accordion Fold Bookbinding to make our own books!
Saturday August 15th
- 11:00 am Webinar — Survivors Week Celebration Party!!!!
Hosted by Julie Lanford, Wellness Director, Cancer Services and Dr. Stacy Wentworth, Medical Director of Survivorship, WFBH and the Survivors Week Planning Committee. You will not want to miss this fun filled hour of celebration and appreciation!
UPCOMING SURVIVOR PROGRAMS
Find Cancer Services’ Full Calendar Online Here!
Find a Printable July Calendar Here!
Please let us know if you are interested in attending any, or ALL of these upcoming programs, which will be held online using zoom technology. You can use a computer, tablet or smart phone to join and we are happy to assist you!
Check out our programs for July 13th – July 24th!
- Chair Yoga with Sue Evans: Tuesday, July 14th at 5:30pm, brought to you by Wake Forest Baptist Health
Contact Sue Evans for sign in information!
Sue Evans, MBA/MHA, RYT500
- GI Wellness Group: Tuesday, July 14th at 6pm
Email Julie Pope for the link to join!
- Yoga for Cancer with Angela Gallagher: Wednesday, July 15th and July 22nd at 9am and 5pm, brought to you by Novant Health.
Join online via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/northjoyyoga
Contact Angela Gallagher for details – NorthJoyYoga@yahoo.com or 414-5942.
- Nutrition Webinar – Plant Based Diets for Cancer Survivors: Wednesday, July 15th at Noon
- Breast Cancer Wellness Group: Thursday, July 16th at Noon
- Nutrition at Home! Q&A with Julie Lanford, The Cancer Dietitian: Thursday, July 16th at Noon
- Gentle Yoga with Valerie Kiser: Monday, July 20th at 10am
Join Valerie’s class here!
- Blood Cancer Wellness Group: Wednesday, July 22nd at 6pm
For more information regarding any of the above classes by email Anna or call our office (336-760-9983)!
COOK TO THRIVE! Cooking Class Recipes and Video
Julie hosted her second Cook to Thrive! Virtual Survivorship Cooking Class. It was a blast! Thanks to everyone who joined and a big shout out to everyone who donates to help make this class happen.
This month we used recipes from the Eating Well Through Cancer cookbook, which is one of Julie’s favorites. And thanks to a grant from the Clemmons Community Foundation, any local survivor is welcome to call our office to get a free copy!
The Caprese Chicken Bake recipe can be found online here!
Check out the pics from what we made. They are as delicious as they are beautiful!
WATCH THE CLASS RECORDING HERE!
Hirsch Wellness Network!
Hirsch would be happy to have Cancer Services’ clients join in on their classes and there are many to choose from! All are free of charge!
Hirsch Wellness Network, located in Greensboro, was founded in 2008 and offers cancer patients/survivors/caregivers a variety of wellness programs and they are currently all offered online!
Find their full calendar here.
Find a Printable Version of July Classes at Hirsh Here!
STAY WELL WHILE STAYING HOME
- For ideas on how to keep moving while safe at home, click HERE.
- For a full page of resources to exercise your brain, click HERE.
- For nutrition information, click HERE.
CORONAVIRUS QUICK LINKS
- Interview with Jeff Ungetheim about dealing with stress and anxiety.
- Interview with WFBH Dr. Stacy Wentworth regarding what Cancer Patients and Survivors should know about coronavirus.
- Find CDC Mask Guidelines Here!
- Measures for Protecting Yourself and Others
- Hand Hygiene for Healthcare Providers
As a reminder:
Be sure you connect with us via Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram!
Please call us before you come by the office so we can determine if you need to come or not. We want to keep all our clients safe, and our staff as well.
We are happy to talk with you at 336-760-9983. We are available from 9am – 4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am – 2pm on Fridays.