This week’s updates include:
- Next Week’s Programs Include Yoga, GYN Wellness Group and Nutrition Q&A!
- Sign up for Nutrition Programs in June!
- Featured Recipe – Greek Chickpea Salad in a Jar
- WFBH physical therapist Cassie Dowtin discusses important exercises post-surgery and how to look out for lymphedema
- Hirsch Wellness Programs
- Coronavirus Quick Links
- You Are Not Alone: Connect with us on Facebook, Youtube, via our podcast, the Triad Cancer Connection, and our new Instagram page!
Please let us know if you are interested in attending any, or ALL of these upcoming programs, which will be held online using zoom technology. You can use a computer, tablet or smart phone to join and we are happy to assist you!
Last month our wellness groups had experts speak to how cancer patients, survivors and caregivers should stay safe as “stay at home” recommendations are loosening. If you have questions about what was covered in the meetings, let us know.
Be sure that you join us for this month’s wellness group meetings and special programs to assist you in staying well beyond cancer!
PROGRAMS NEXT WEEK!
- Monday, June 1st at 10am: Chair Yoga for Cancer Patients/Survivors with Valerie Kiser, owner of Sunrise Yoga in Clemmons
In this class, Valerie will lead you through a relaxing class designed for all levels. You will be able to use what you learn to incorporate into your daily physical activity. Thanks to a grant from the Clemmons Community Foundation for making this class possible!
- Tuesday, June 2nd at 5:30pm: Chair Yoga with Sue Evans, brought to you by Wake Forest Baptist Health
Contact Sue Evans for sign in information!
Sue Evans, MBA/MHA, RYT500
- Tuesday, June 2nd at 6pm: GYN Cancer Wellness Group
For survivors of GYN cancer and their caregiver’s to enjoy social time and education while supporting each other emotionally.
Contact Julie or Suzanne at Cancer Services, for login information: Julie@cancerservicesonline.org, email@example.com or 336-760-9983.
- Wednesday, June 3rd at 9am and 5pm: Gentle Yoga with Angela Gallagher, brought to you by Novant Health.
Join online via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/northjoyyoga
Contact Angela Gallagher for details – NorthJoyYoga@yahoo.com or 414-5942.
- Thursday, June 4th at 2pm: Nutrition Q&A with Julie Lanford, “The Cancer Dietitian”.
Join Julie for this online Q&A session regarding what to eat during and after treatment. Julie will share recipe ideas and answer any of your questions!
You can RSVP for any of the above classes by emailing Anna or calling our office (336-760-9983)!
NUTRITION PROGRAMS IN JUNE:
In June, Julie will begin teaching a monthly virtual version of her Cook to Thrive! classes. Classes will be accompanied by an optional cookbook for you to pick up at the office for no charge, thanks to a grant from the Clemmons Community Foundation!
Sign up for one, or ALL, of our nutrition programs in June!
- June 4th 2pm – 3pm Nutrition Q&A with Julie Lanford, The Cancer Dietitian.
- June 10th 8pm-9pm: Benefits of Culinary Herbs & Spices Nutrition Webinar
- June 17th 12noon – 1pm: Spices for Health! Cooking Class
- June 18th 8pm – 9pm: Nutrition Q&A with Julie Lanford, The Cancer Dietitian.
This is one of the recipes shared at our Cook to Thrive! Survivorship Cooking Class last year. We have several “Salad In a Jar” recipes you can enjoy! It’s great for your summer veggie garden!
THE TRUTH ABOUT ADDED SUGARS
What are added sugars? Do I Need to Give up Added Sugars? It is important to remember that added sugars is just one piece of information on the label. How much added sugars is reasonable? Julie demystifies sugar in this episode of Northwest Area Health Education Center videos!
Julie interviewed WFBH physical therapist Cassie Dowtin about important exercises post-surgery and how to look out for lymphedema. Check it out!
STAY WELL WHILE STAYING HOME
- For ideas on how to keep moving while safe at home, click HERE.
- For a full page of resources to exercise your brain, click HERE.
- For nutrition information, click HERE.
Hirsch Wellness Network!
Hirsch would be happy to have Cancer Services’ clients join in on their classes and there are many to choose from! All are free of charge!
Hirsch Wellness Network, located in Greensboro, was founded in 2008 and offers cancer patients/survivors/caregivers a variety of wellness programs and they are currently all offered online!
CORONAVIRUS QUICK LINKS
- Interview with Jeff Ungetheim about dealing with stress and anxiety.
- Interview with WFBH Dr. Stacy Wentworth regarding what Cancer Patients and Survivors should know about coronavirus.
- Find CDC Mask Guidelines Here!
- Measures for Protecting Yourself and Others
- Hand Hygiene for Healthcare Providers
As a reminder:
Please call us before you come by the office so we can determine if you need to come or not. We want to keep all our clients safe, and our staff as well.
We are happy to talk with you at 336-760-9983. We are available from 9am – 4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am – 2pm on Fridays.