Here’s what you’ll find in this update!
- Survivors Week: June 1st – 5th – Register Today!
- Special program registration links, including Nutrition Webinar (Cancer Nutrition Myths), Eat the Rainbow Challenge and Greatfully Well Gratitude Program!
- Wellness group dates and registration links, including art & wellness link for June
- Carbs Healthy or Not? Webinar Recording
- Delicious Desserts Cooking Class Recipes
Survivors Week: June 1st – 5th
We are excited to announce the 2021 Survivor’s Week of Events! You are invited to register and join for one, two or ALL of the sessions! All sessions will be live via zoom and also broadcasted live on the Cancer Services YouTube channel. Recordings will be available as well, so you don’t have to worry about missing a session if the time doesn’t fit your schedule.
The fun begins on June 1st!
Schedule of Events
- Tuesday June 1st – 10:00am-11:30am Webinar – Tuesday June 1st – 10:00am-11:30am Webinar – Sleep, Stress & Anxiety, Oh My!
Join us as the Novant Health care team explores ways to manage these ailments and improve your quality of life. Learn to take back control of the lions, tigers and bears with Katie Miller, Board Certified Clinical Oncology Pharmacist, Cameron Sweeney, PA-C, MMS, Jonathan McGuirt, PA, MPH, and Moderated by Cancer Services.
- Tuesday June 1st – 6:00pm-7:30pm Hispanic Webinar — Sobrevivientes – Virtual Survivor Program in Spanish
- Wednesday June 2nd – 3:30pm-4:30pm Webinar – Chair Yoga for Cancer Patients/Survivors and Caregivers
Led by Angela Gallagher, certified yoga instructor: Join us for this gentle yoga class focusing on relaxation, stress reduction, and breathing techniques.
- Thursday June 3rd – 6:00pm-7:30pm Webinar – Loneliness and Isolation – Cancer and Covid-19 Created the “Perfect Storm”. Discussion led by WFBH: Dr. Richard McQuellon, Ben Curti, Recreational Therapy, and Angela Brown, Chaplain, and Typhany Morrison-Brooks, Patient Advocate with Cancer Services. Learn ways to combat loneliness and isolation and when and where it is safe to go out again.
- Friday June 4th – 12:00noon – 1pm Webinar – Cook to Thrive: Comfort Foods. Join Julie “The Cancer Dietitian” for this cook-along session where she will teach you some delicious and nutritious comfort food recipes to assist in your self-care!
- Saturday June 5th – 10:00 am Webinar – Survivors Week Celebration Party!!! Hosted by Julie Lanford, Wellness Director, Cancer Services and Dr. Stacy Wentworth, Medical Director of Survivorship, Wake Forest Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Survivors Week Planning Committee. You will not want to miss this fun-filled time of celebration and appreciation!
When you register, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on when to pick up your survivor gift. See you there!!
Join us for one of the following events coming up:
- Nutrition Webinar Topic: Breaking down myths and misconceptions around cancer and food. – REGISTER HERE!
Wednesday, June 16th from 7:30 – 9pm
There is a lot of hype and misinformation surrounding nutrition and cancer. And, it can be challenging to separate fact from fiction. Join Julie Lanford, Registered Dietitian and Wellness Director of Cancer Services and “The Cancer Dietitian”, and Stephanie Hopkins, Registered Dietitian of The Gathering Place, as they discuss and dispel cancer nutrition myths.
- Chair Yoga with Sue Evans: Every Tuesday at 5:30pm, brought to you by Wake Forest Baptist Health.
No registration needed, click here to join the class.
Sue Evans, MBA/MHA, RYT500
- Yoga for Cancer with Angela Gallagher: Every Wednesday at 9am and 5pm, brought to you by Novant Health.
Join online via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/northjoyyoga
Contact Angela Gallagher for details – NorthJoyYoga@yahoo.com or 414-5942.
Also – be sure to check out all the virtual programs that Hirsh Wellness Network is offering! They are located in Greensboro and their calendar of events can be found here.
Eat the Rainbow Challenge Starts June 28th!
By now, you have likely been told to “eat more fruits and vegetables” countless times by friends, doctors, dietitians, etc. But have they ever explained why eating more fruits and vegetables is beneficial for a cancer survivor? What about how to add more fruits and vegetables into your diet? Lastly, with all of the conflicting nutrition information out there, how are you supposed to tell what is a myth versus what is a fact?
In this 12-week series, we will do all of that for you! We are going to:
- Explain why fruits and vegetables are important for cancer survivors
- Help you increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet
- Bust some common myths about fruits and vegetables
Register or find more info HERE!
Gratitude Program Starts July 5th!
Life is Great When You’re Grateful!
Join us for a special 5 week program designed to guide you into a habit of gratitude in order to enhance your well-being during and after cancer treatment. This program is open to patients/survivors as well as caregivers.
It begins on July 5th!
All participants will receive an email once a week (on Mondays, starting July 5th) with a link to an audio interview regarding the week’s topic. We will also have a “Gratitude Action Step” each week, and participants will keep a gratitude journal.
This program is designed for you to do “on your own”, or with a virtual Gratitude Huddle once a week, on Tuesday evenings at 7:30pm.
Join a Wellness Group This Month!
These groups meet each month. For all of them, except Art & Wellness, you can register once and use the same link each month to sign in.
Art & Wellness requires you to register for each month you want to attend because we need to prepare supplies for you to pick up ahead of time.
- Art & Wellness Group – Register here!
Meets on Thursday, April 22 from 2pm-4pm (5/27 and 6/24).
Visit the Art and Wellness Group web page for more information!
- Blood Cancer Wellness Group – Register here!
Meets every fourth Wednesday at 6pm (5/26 and 6/23). Visit the Blood Cancer Wellness Group web page for more information.
- Breast Cancer Wellness Group – Register here!
Meets every third Thursday at 12pm (5/19 and 6/17). Visit the Breast Cancer Group web page for more information.
- GI (Gastrointestinal) Cancer Wellness Group – HYBRID (Attend In-Person or Virtual) STARTING IN JUNE!
Meets every second Tuesday at 6pm (6/8).
Email Julie Pope for group login information.
- GYN (Gynecologic) Cancer Wellness Group – HYBRID (Attend In-Person or Virtual) STARTING IN JUNE! Register Here to Attend Virtually!
Meets every first Tuesday at 6pm (6/1). Visit the GYN group web page for more information.
[WEBINAR RECORDING] Carbs: Necessary or Not?
In our current culture it seems that we constantly hear people say they are cutting out carbs or they are doing a ‘low carb’ diet. Keto is one of those diets that have been popular in the past few years.
You might wonder, what do carbs do for your body and why are they sometimes considered ‘bad’?
In the webinar recording and slides below we will talk all about carbs! By the end of this webinar, you know all there is to know about eating carbs and whether they are necessary or not!
WATCH THE WEBINAR RECORDING HERE!
The following are some topics that are discussed in the webinar…
- How carbs are digested & absorbed in the body
- What foods contain carbs
- Different types of carbs & their importance
- Why whole grains are important
- The hot topic of Gluten/Gluten-free diets
- How many carbs you should eat
Feel free to contact Julie if you have questions or need nutrition advice or join her Q&A session on July 1st.
And of course, you can always find her latest nutrition tips and science-based recommendations on www.cancerdietitian.com.
Delicious Desserts Recipes!
In our April Cook to Thrive! Survivorship cooking class, our theme was “Delicious Desserts”. Try one of these out for a great way to give your taste buds a treat and your body nourishment!
WATCH THE CLASS RECORDING HERE!
Cancer Services is Here to Help!
Be sure you connect with us via Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram!
We are happy to talk with you at 336-760-9983. We are available from 9am – 4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am – 2pm on Fridays.
Is there something we can do to help you? In order to keep you and our staff safe, please call us before you come by the office so we can determine if you need to come or not. Many of our services can be delivered by phone or online!