This week’s updates include:
- Cancer Services Statement Regarding Racial Injustice
- Update on Survivor’s Day!
- Next Week’s Programs Include Yoga, GI and Lung Wellness Groups and Nutrition Webinar!
- Sign up for Nutrition Programs in June!
- Featured Recipe – Corn in the Microwave
- Nutrition Interview Regarding Sweet Taste
- Hirsch Wellness Programs
- Coronavirus Quick Links
- You Are Not Alone: Connect with us on Facebook, Youtube, via our podcast, the Triad Cancer Connection, and our new Instagram page!
CANCER SERVICES STATEMENT AGAINST RACIAL INJUSTICE
SURVIVORS DAY UPDATE!
Traditionally, our local Survivors Day Celebration is on the first Saturday in June, which would have been tomorrow (June 6th, 2020). However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, it’s not advised to gather together.
Our committee, including staff from Cancer Services, Novant Health and Wake Forest Baptist Health, have been working hard to come up with an alternative plan. We have planned a virtual Survivors Week for August 10 – August 15, so watch for more details!
We will also be honoring the 2020 Patient Advocate Award Winners in local media at the end of June.
Please let us know if you are interested in attending any, or ALL of these upcoming programs, which will be held online using zoom technology. You can use a computer, tablet or smart phone to join and we are happy to assist you!
Last month our wellness groups had experts speak to how cancer patients, survivors and caregivers should stay safe as “stay at home” recommendations are loosening. If you have questions about what was covered in the meetings, let us know.
Be sure that you join us for this month’s wellness group meetings and special programs to assist you in staying well beyond cancer!
Find Cancer Services’ Full Calendar Online Here!
Find a Printable June Calendar Here!
PROGRAMS NEXT WEEK!
- Tuesday, June 9th at 5:30pm: Chair Yoga with Sue Evans, brought to you by Wake Forest Baptist Health
Contact Sue Evans for sign in information!
Sue Evans, MBA/MHA, RYT500
- Tuesday, June 9th at 6pm: GI (Gastrointestinal) Cancer Wellness Group
For survivors of GI cancer and their caregiver’s to enjoy social time and education while supporting each other emotionally.
Email us to register.
- Wednesday, June 10th at 12pm: Surviving Lung Cancer Wellness Group
For lung cancer survivor’s and their caregiver’s to enjoy education and social time while supporting each other emotionally.
Click here to register.
- Wednesday, June 10th at 9am and 5pm: Gentle Yoga with Angela Gallagher, brought to you by Novant Health.
Join online via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/northjoyyoga
Contact Angela Gallagher for details – NorthJoyYoga@yahoo.com or 414-5942.
- Wednesday, June 10th at 8pm: Nutrition Webinar – Benefits of Culinary Herbs & Spices
Join Julie for this online webinar about the benefits of different culinary herbs and spices. Julie will share recipe ideas and answer any of your questions!
You can RSVP for any of the above classes by emailing Anna or calling our office (336-760-9983)!
NUTRITION PROGRAMS IN JUNE:
In June, Julie will begin teaching a monthly virtual version of her Cook to Thrive! classes. Classes will be accompanied by an optional cookbook for you to pick up at the office for no charge, thanks to a grant from the Clemmons Community Foundation!
Sign up for one, or ALL, of our nutrition programs in June!
- June 10th 8pm-9pm: Benefits of Culinary Herbs & Spices Nutrition Webinar
- June 17th 12noon – 1pm: Spices for Health! Cooking Class
- June 18th 8pm – 9pm: Nutrition Q&A with Julie Lanford, The Cancer Dietitian.
FEATURED RECIPE – CORN IN THE MICROWAVE!
The easiest way to make corn. In the Microwave!!
Julie discovered that she could cook corn in the microwave and it changed her life! Eat it off the cob, or cut it off and add to salads, stir fry or just add some salt and pepper and eat with a spoon!
CAN YOU CHANGE YOUR SWEET SENSITIVITY?
Sweet tooth? Tune up your sweet acuity! Julie talks about sweet acuity and ways to tune your taste buds for a healthy approach to sugars and sweet things in this episode of Northwest Area Health Education Center videos!
Hirsch Wellness Network!
Hirsch would be happy to have Cancer Services’ clients join in on their classes and there are many to choose from! All are free of charge!
Hirsch Wellness Network, located in Greensboro, was founded in 2008 and offers cancer patients/survivors/caregivers a variety of wellness programs and they are currently all offered online!
Find their full calendar here.
Find a Printable Version of June Classes at Hirsh Here!
STAY WELL WHILE STAYING HOME
- For ideas on how to keep moving while safe at home, click HERE.
- For a full page of resources to exercise your brain, click HERE.
- For nutrition information, click HERE.
CORONAVIRUS QUICK LINKS
- Interview with Jeff Ungetheim about dealing with stress and anxiety.
- Interview with WFBH Dr. Stacy Wentworth regarding what Cancer Patients and Survivors should know about coronavirus.
- Find CDC Mask Guidelines Here!
- Measures for Protecting Yourself and Others
- Hand Hygiene for Healthcare Providers
As a reminder:
Be sure you connect with us via Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram!
Please call us before you come by the office so we can determine if you need to come or not. We want to keep all our clients safe, and our staff as well.
We are happy to talk with you at 336-760-9983. We are available from 9am – 4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am – 2pm on Fridays.