We are looking forward to a year of programming and seeing many of you IN PERSON! Some of you we may never have seen IRL (in real life) because you were diagnosed in the middle of the pandemic. We would love to meet you!
Feel free to stop by to meet our team of advocates and educators, or give us a call with any questions. We’re here to help!
STAY IN THE KNOW IN THE NEW YEAR!
New for 2023 is our Survivorship Special Topic Expert Interviews! These interviews will keep you updated on the latest information survivors and caregivers need to know about caring for themselves and loved ones during and after cancer treatment.
We offer a digital, printable reflection guide to go along with the topic and invite you to join with our staff and other survivors for a discussion group, either in person, or online, on the 4th Tuesday of the month. This month we will meet on Tuesday, January 24th at 1pm in person at Cancer Services, or 7pm on zoom.
Our January Survivorship Special Topic is Priorities and Well-Being: Maintaining Focus on What’s Really Important.
In our January special topic, experts Lisa Rainwater (Oncology Counselor at Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist) and Decarlos West (Social Worker at Novant Health), help us know what’s important when it comes to well-being after a cancer diagnosis.
We touch on a few different areas that many cancer survivors and caregivers face, and give you some practical tips on how to take steps towards identifying your priorities and enhancing your well-being.
- Julie Lanford has a master’s degree in Public Health and is the Wellness Director for Cancer Services, Inc. a cancer support non-profit located in Winston Salem, NC.
- Lisa Rainwater is the Integrated Clinical Programming Manager for Psychosocial Oncology & Cancer Patient Support Programs at Atrium Health Comprehensive Cancer Center. She is a clinical mental health counselor and provides counseling for individuals, couples, and leads support groups for survivors, caregivers, and healthcare providers.
- Decarlos West, an oncology social worker at Novant Cancer Institute. Prior to working at novant, Decarlos worked in child protective services, Adult Guardianship, and as a social worker at a Skilled Nursing Facility.
In Part 2, Julie interviews Kris Ryan, a cancer survivor and certified coach, who helps us process what we heard in Part 1 and think about how we might identify some personal next steps or goals.
- Kris is a certified coach who spent her career in Human Resources and Leadership Development before being diagnosed with endometrial cancer in December of 2017. After beating cancer she refocused her life to wellness and cancer survivor coaching. Although originally from the Midwest, she loves Winston-Salem and has called it home since 2016.
We hope you will join us for one (or all!) of the special topics this year! Do you have a suggestion for special topics or speakers we should interview? Just email Julie! She’d love to hear your ideas.
Wednesday, January 18th at 8 pm.
Join this free webinar with Julie Lanford, The Cancer Dietitian, discussing how to fight cancer with your fork. Julie will discuss what foods you should be eating and what to avoid.
Tuesday, January 24th at 1 pm or 7 pm
Please join this monthly discussion group to gather with other survivors and connect through shared experiences. We will be discussing the Expert Interview, “Priorities and Well-Being: Maintaining Focus on What’s Really Important.” Be sure to register for the correct time and meeting place that you can attend.
Thursday, January 26th at 2 pm
PROJECT: Wire Beaded Bonsai Trees
Join us for a wellness group focused on healing through art, provided by Cancer Services and Sawtooth School for Visual Arts. Supplies will be available for pick up at Cancer Services one week prior to the class.
- Cancer Transitions – Thursdays in February at 7 pm
- Survivorship Topic Discussion Group – Tuesday, February 28th at 1pm (in person) or 7pm (via zoom)
- Art & Wellness – Thursday, February 23rd at 2pm
- Special Topic Videos – February is American Heart Month. Next month our special topic will be related to cardio health and we will also share heart healthy recipe videos!
If you would like to be added to our wellness group reminder list, please register here!
- Breast Cancer Wellness Group – Thursday, January 19th at 12pm.
- GI (Gastrointestinal) Cancer Wellness Group – Tuesday, January 10th at 6pm
Email Julie Pope for group login information.
- GYN (Gynecologic) Cancer Wellness Group – Tuesday, January 3rd at 6pm
- Multiple Myeloma Group – Wednesday, January 25th at 12pm
- Oral, Head, Neck Cancer Wellness Group – Wednesday, January 11th at 3pm.
- Sobrevivientes – Wednesday, January 4th at 6pm.
Email Gloria at email@example.com or text “Asistire” 336-897-9191.
- Survive & Thrive YA Meetup – Tuesday, January 3rd at 5:30 pm
Healing Hands Programs help you relax and improve your stress. We have amazing volunteer practitioners who are available to schedule you for massage, healing touch or facial. Just call our office to reserve your spot! (Note that we prioritize those who are in active treatment, or recently completed treatment).
- Chair Yoga with Sue Evans: Every Tuesday at 5:30pm, brought to you by Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist.
No registration needed, click here to join the class.
Sue Evans, MBA/MHA, RYT500
- Yoga for Cancer with Angela Gallagher: Every Wednesday at 9am and 5pm, brought to you by Novant Health.
No registration needed, click here to join the class.
Contact Angela Gallagher for details – firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-5942.
- Yoga for Cancer Patients: Every Monday at 9 am and Friday at 10am, brought to you by Novant Health.
Novant Integrative Medicine
725 Highland Park, Suite 200 (upper level)
Highlights for January Programs at Hirsch Wellness include:
- Sound Journey with Sound Healer Alexander Tuttle
- Sakiori – The Japanese Art of Rag Weaving with Textile Designer Jacqui Mehring
- Truth? Beauty? Courage? A Thinking and Writing class with Author and Writer Molly Haile
- Mixed Media using Watercolors and Sharpies with Artist Mavis Liggett
- Huna Basics for Anxiety with Reiki Master and Breathworks Coach Bev Vaughn
- And our weekly Taiji-Qigong, Chair Qigong, Yoga, and Meditation classes
For additional information on all class offerings, visit Hirsch Wellness Classes.
Our office will be closed Mondays, January 2nd & 16th.
Connect with us on social media!
Comments, Suggestions, or Feedback?
Please call our office at 336-760-9983 or email Julie here!
Monday – Thursday 9 AM – 4 PM
Friday 9 AM – 2 PM