Here’s what you’ll find in this update!
- NEW PROGRAM: Greatfully Well
- Special topic interviews
– survivor sleep study
– vaccine info for survivors
- Special program registration links, including Nutrition Q&A class, Nutrition Webinar (organic vs. conventional), and Feb cooking class (veggies with breakfast)
- Wellness group dates and registration links, including art & wellness link for February
- Nutrition & Immunity webinar recording and podcast episode
- Volunteer opportunities
NEW PROGRAM! Greatfully Well
Join us for a special 5 week program designed to guide you into a habit of gratitude in order to enhance your well-being during and after cancer treatment. This program is open to patients/survivors as well as caregivers.
It begins on March 1st!
All participants will receive an email once a week (on Mondays, starting March 1st) with a link to an audio interview regarding the week’s topic. We will also have a “Gratitude Action Step” each week, and participants will keep a gratitude journal.
This program is designed for you to do “on your own”, or with a virtual group meeting once a week, on Thursday evenings at 7pm.
Special Topic Interviews
Recently, Julie had the priviledge to interview two experts regarding survivorship. You can either watch the interview via the Cancer Services YouTube channel or listen on our Triad Cancer Connection Podcast.
COVID Vaccine Info with Dr. Stacy Wentworth:
We cover the following questions:
- What do cancer patients and survivors need to know about the COVID-19 vaccine?
- What’s the best way to get scheduled for one?
- Are there any individuals who should NOT get one asap?
- It’s confusing that we still have to wear masks and distance after a vaccine. Why?
- Should cancer patients and survivors feel good about traveling after being vaccinated?
- No one likes to wear a mask, but Dr. Wentworth shares her favorite!
Helpful links for finding vaccine appointments:
- Be sure you are signed up for your healthcare providers electronic medical record
- Follow your local health department website and social media pages
Interview with Dr. Nishat Bhuiyan: Sleep and Cancer Survivorship Study
In this interview, Julie talks with Dr. Bhuiyan about the latest study for cancer survivors out of the Mindful Health Lab at Arizona State University. Dr. Bhuiyan also shares information on other wellness studies available to cancer survivors, as well as general tips about sleeping well.
See if you’re eligible for the sleep and survivorship study and register for notification of other studies visit bit.ly/cancerwellnessstudy
Be sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel and our podcast in order to be notified as soon as new interviews are available!
Join us for one of the following special topics coming up:
- Cook to Thrive! Survivorship Cooking Class – REGISTER HERE!
Wednesday, February 24th at 11am
Our theme for this survivorship cooking class is VEGGIES AT BREAKFAST! We will share ideas for how to get more veggies into your morning!
- Cancer Nutrition Q&A Session – Register here!
Thursday, March 4th at 2pm
Julie will cover the basics around nutrition and cancer for people in treatment, the key things that people need to know about nutrition after treatment and leave plenty of time to answer your questions!
- Nutrition Webinar – Which is Best? Organic or Conventional
Wednesday, March 10th at 8pm EST – Register here!
In social media and popular culture, there seems to be an assumption that “Organic is Healthy.” But what does the science say? And what about foods that you can’t get organic, or are genetically engineered? We will cover all these questions and more, while giving you the most evidence-based and up to date information that will leave you feeling confident about your food choices.
- Chair Yoga with Sue Evans: Every Tuesday at 5:30pm, brought to you by Wake Forest Baptist Health.
No registration needed, click here to join the class.
Sue Evans, MBA/MHA, RYT500
- Yoga for Cancer with Angela Gallagher: Every Wednesday at 9am and 5pm, brought to you by Novant Health.
Join online via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/northjoyyoga
Contact Angela Gallagher for details – NorthJoyYoga@yahoo.com or 414-5942.
Also – be sure to check out all the virtual programs that Hirsh Wellness Network is offering! They are located in Greensboro and their calendar of events can be found here. Julie will be their “Artist at Home” guest from 1-2pm on Friday, Jan 22nd! Regsiter for that event here.
Join a Wellness Group This Month!
These groups meet each month. For all of them, except Art & Wellness, you can register once and use the same link each month to sign in.
Art & Wellness requires you to register for each month you want to attend because we need to prepare supplies for you to pick up ahead of time.
- Art & Wellness Group – Register here!
Meets on select Thursdays from 2pm-4pm (2/25). In February we will be making these cool pieces using mixed media!
Visit the Art and Wellness Group web page for more information!
- Blood Cancer Wellness Group – Register here!
Meets every fourth Wednesday at 6pm (2/24). Visit the Blood Cancer Wellness Group web page for more information.
- Breast Cancer Wellness Group – Register here!
Meets every third Thursday at 12pm (2/18). Visit the Breast Cancer Group web page for more information.
- GI (Gastrointestinal) Cancer Wellness Group
Meets every second Tuesday at 6pm (3/9).
Email Julie Pope for group login information.
- GYN (Gynecologic) Cancer Wellness Group – Register Here!
Meets every first Tuesday at 6pm (3/2). Visit the GYN group web page for more information.
In this webinar, co-hosted by Julie Lanford and Leah McGrath, they discuss exactly how nutrition can support or distract your immune system. They focus on food you should consider for your diet that strengthen your immune system. Then they also focus on foods that could be distracting your immune system from doing its job.
The following is discussed in the webinar:
- Immune supporting foods/distracting foods
- Research presented about supplements and how we want nutrients from food and not from pills
- Savvy shopping tips for added sugars, fats, and starches
- Immunity with health and wellness: it all works together!
- Healthy habits and how to make them
Want the cliff notes version? Check out Julie’s lastest episode on The Cancer Dietitian Podcast! It’s the 18 minute version of what was discussed!
Feel free to contact Julie if you have questions or need nutrition advice or join her Q&A session on March 4th (the only day of the year that is a command)!
And of course, you can always find her latest nutrition tips and science-based recommendations on www.cancerdietitian.com.
Volunteering with Cancer Services
We look forward to connecting with you in this New Year! If you’re interested in helping us with our mission, we have a few volunteer opportunities you might be interested in including:
- Care Team Members — We are in need of volunteers who will assist our Patient Advocates and Wellness team by making follow-up calls or writing encouraging notes to clients.
- Office Assistance — We are in need of volunteers who can do various activities from their home such as putting client folders or booklets together or folding flyers, for example. Would involve picking up materials from the office and returning when activity is complete.
- Laundry — We are in need of volunteers to launder the donations of hats, scarves, mastectomy bras, sheets, etc. that we receive. Depending on the volume of donations it would be 1 basket every week or two weeks.
- Landscaping — We can always use volunteers to keep our office’s landscaping under control either on a regular basis or as a one time offering. Includes mowing, trimming bushes, mulching, planting flowers and holding the weeds at bay.
- Fundraising — We always welcome volunteers in the community willing to have fundraisers to support Cancer Services. In 2021, we are unable to hold our normal Wrapped Up In Ribbons raffle. However, we are currently seeking donations for our online auction. Let us know if you’d like to help!
Cancer Services is Here to Help!
We are happy to talk with you at 336-760-9983. We are available from 9am – 4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am – 2pm on Fridays.
Is there something we can do to help you? In order to keep you and our staff safe, please call us before you come by the office so we can determine if you need to come or not. Many of our services can be delivered by phone or online!