This week’s updates include:
- Upcoming Programs Include Blood Cancer Wellness Group & Nature Program!
- Nutrition After Cancer Program
- Featured Recipe – Strawberry Lemonaid/Smoothie
- Cook to Thrive! [Virtual] Cooking Classes
- Hirsch Wellness Programs for next week
- Support Cancer Services by “Volunteering from Home”
- Ways to Stay Well While Staying Home
- Coronavirus Quick Links
- You Are Not Alone: Connect with us on Facebook, Youtube, via our podcast, the Triad Cancer Connection, and our new Instagram page!
Please let us know if you are interested in attending any, or ALL of these upcoming programs, which will be held online using zoom technology. You can use a computer, tablet or smart phone to join and we are happy to assist you!
Next Week Programs!
- Tuesday, May 26th at 5:30pm: Chair Yoga with Sue Evans, brought to you by Wake Forest Baptist Health
This hour together will include gentle movements, meditation and relaxation along with some breathing exercises to calm and relax the mind and body. No experience is necessary.
- Wednesday, May 20th at 9am & 5pm: Yoga for Cancer Patients
Join online via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/northjoyyoga
Contact Angela Gallagher for details – 414-5942
- Wednesday, May 27th at 6pm: Blood Cancer Wellness Group!
Are you wondering what’s next? As the “stay at home” restrictions are gradually being lifted, there are still things you need to do and not do! And things you need to know! Join us for an open online discussion led by Anita Watson, RN, Lead Infection Preventionist at the Novant Health Cancer Center. Anita will be talking to blood cancer survivors about what are good practices now and in the future.
In order to participate in this program, you MUST REGISTER. Includes diagnoses of leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma.
Email Typhany to register!
- Thursday, May 28th at 2pm: Nature Scavenger Hunt and Stump the Horticulturist!
Appreciate the wonder of nature and join us as Forsyth County Cooperative Extension Horticulturists Leslie Peck and Mary Jac Brennen discuss plants you might find as you wander through your yard, neighborhood or local park. We will ask you to go on a “scavenger hunt” for nature items before our session. Bring your items to our online group and we’ll see if the horticulturists can identify them!
REGISTER FOR NATURE SCAVENGER HUNT HERE!
If you have questions about programs, email Julie or calling our office (336-760-9983)!
Nutrition After Cancer Program: What to Eat, What to Avoid
If you’re tired of wondering what you should and should not be eating as a cancer survivor or caregiver, then this virtual program is for you!
There is a lot of confusion about what is “good” and “bad” for cancer survivors to eat, but this series will teach you about the basics of a healthy diet that isn’t just good for survivors, but for everyone!
Julie made this recipe a few years ago and it’s PERFECT for strawberry season! CHECK IT OUT!
Cook to Thrive! [Virtual] Cooking Classes
In June, Julie will begin teaching a monthly virtual version of her Cook to Thrive! classes. Classes will be accompanied by an optional cookbook for you to pick up at the office for no charge, thanks to a grant from the Clemmons Community Foundation!
Watch for details on how to sign up. For now… mark your calendars!
- June 17th 12noon – 1pm: Spices for Health!
- July 8th 8pm – 9pm: Summer Veggies
- August 19th 12noon – 1pm: Cooking for 2
Hirsch Wellness Network Programs!
A silver lining to the current crisis is that there are many opportunities to participate in programs online that previously were only offered in a physical building.
Hirsch Wellness Network, located in Greensboro, offers cancer patients/survivors/caregivers a variety of wellness programs and they are currently all offered online!
Hirsch would be happy to have Cancer Services’ clients join in on their classes and there are many to choose from next week! All are free of charge!
Next week Hirsch programs include:
- Taiji-Qigong Online with Bill Savage
- Tuesdays at Triad Yoga Online
- Open Studio Online with Bob Nordbruch
- Resting in Awareness Six-Week Mindfulness Meditation Series with Ash Poirier #6 in Series
- Wellness in Nature Online with Catherine Crowder (Class Time Change)
- ARTISTS AT HOME – Online Conversation with Hirsch Instructor Jacqueline Mehring
If you participate in a class, we’d love to hear how it went!
SUPPORT CANCER SERVICES
We have “volunteer from home” needs!
Are you willing to do some folding, stuffing, stickering or other “office work” tasks from home? Let Malek know! We can provide instructions and set it out for you to pick up, do your volunteer work from home and drop it back off.
Check out our wish list on Amazon. Find it HERE! We have need for the following:
- Wellness Through Art Kits
- Hygeine Kits
- Cancer Care Kits
While shopping on Amazon, You can use our unique link by clicking on the button above or go to Amazon Smile and type in Cancer Services.
Thank you for your help!!
STAY WELL WHILE STAYING HOME
- For ideas on how to keep moving while safe at home, click HERE.
- For a full page of resources to exercise your brain, click HERE.
- For nutrition information, click HERE.
CORONAVIRUS QUICK LINKS
- Interview with WFBH Dr. Stacy Wentworth regarding what Cancer Patients and Survivors should know about coronavirus.
- Find CDC Mask Guidelines Here!
- Measures for Protecting Yourself and Others
- Hand Hygiene for Healthcare Providers
YOU ARE NOTE ALONE!
Our Survivorship Team is here for you! Contact us and let us know how we can support you during this time. Have a great week!
We have new episodes on the Triad Cancer Connection Podcast!
- What Cancer Patients & Survivors Should Know About COVID-19? 04/29/2020
- Is Takeout Food Safe? And Other Wellness Topics! 04/03/2020
- Staying Well While Staying Home 03/28/2020
- Coronavirus Cancelled Everything, So What Now? 03/20/2020
As a reminder:
Please call us before you come by the office so we can determine if you need to come or not. We want to keep all our clients safe, and our staff as well.
We are happy to talk with you at 336-760-9983. We are available from 9am – 4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am – 2pm on Fridays.