This week’s updates include:
- Support Cancer Services via Amazon Smile!
- Birthday Tea Party ONLINE! – Thursday 4/30 @ 2pm
- Great Programs Scheduled in May!
- Interview with WFBH Dr. Stacy Wentworth
- COVID-19 and Cancer Panel Discussion: Managing Stress, Anxiety, and Grief During Uncertain Times
- Featured Recipe & Cooking Video
- Online Wellness Groups
- Ways to Stay Well While Staying Home
- Funny Finds & Heart Warmers
- Coronavirus Quick Links
- You Are Not Alone: Connect with us on Facebook, Youtube, via our podcast, the Triad Cancer Connection, and our new Instagram page!
SUPPORT CANCER SERVICES
Now you can support Cancer Services via Amazon Smile!
You can use our unique link by clicking on the button below or go to Amazon Smile and type in Cancer Services.
We also have a wish list on Amazon. Find it HERE!WELLNESS PROGRAMS – Sign Up Today!
Our programs have gone virtual using zoom technology, so you can attend from the comfort of your own home using a phone, tablet or computer! Several clients have successfully joined despite never having used zoom before! (Note that we are happy to talk with you ahead of time to make sure you are comfortable using the technology.)
Our online Wellness Through Art class went very well and next week we will have a virtual Birthday Party. YOU are invited!
Birthday Tea Party! Thursday, April 30th at 2pm.
We invite you to join our Birthday Party via Zoom Meeting. All you need is a computer, phone or tablet.
We are celebrating Cancer Services turning 65 and Julie turning…. well, you can ask her! All you need is your smile. If you want, have your teapot and a fun hat! We’ll do some chit chatting and sharing about how things are going. All are welcome. Register Now!
Upcoming Programs in May
Please let us know if you are interested in attending any, or ALL of these upcoming programs, which will be held online. RSVP TODAY and let us know what you want to join! Thanks to a grant from the Clemmons Community Foundation for making these possible!
Chair Yoga for Cancer Patients/Survivors with Valerie Kiser, owner of Sunrise Yoga in Clemmons
Monday, May 4th at 10am
Monday, May 11th at 5pm
In these classes, Valerie will lead you through a relaxing class designed for all levels. You will be able to use what you learn to incorporate into your daily physical activity.
Horticulturist Guided Potting Workshop.
Thursday, May 14th at 2pm
The Forsyth County Cooperative Extention Horticulturists, Leslie Peck and Mary Jac Brennen, will be live to show you how to plant herbs in a pot for your porch, patio, balcony or sunny window sill! Julie will also lend tips on cooking with herbs and the nutritional value that it provides. Herb plants will be available for pick up at Cancer Services prior to the workshop!
Nature Scavenger Hunt and Stump the Horticulturist!
Thursday, May 28th at 2pm
Appreciate the wonder of nature and join us as Forsyth County Cooperative Extension Horticulturists Leslie Peck and Mary Jac Brennen discuss plants you might find as you wander through your yard, neighborhood or local park. We will ask you to go on a “scavenger hunt” for nature items before our session. Bring your items to our online group and we’ll see if the horticulturists can identify them!
RSVP TODAY!STAY INFORMED!
Interview with WFBH Dr. Stacy Wentworth
We interviewed Dr. Stacy Wentworth, a Radiation Oncologist and Director of Survivorship at WFBH about what cancer patients/survivors/caregivers should know about COVID-19.
Dr. Wentworth discusses the following with us in the interview:
- What are the most important things that cancer patients and survivors need to know right now?
- For someone who is newly diagnosed, or who is currently in the middle of their treatment plan and has to physically go to the treatment center and doctor appointments, what do they need to be doing before, during and after treatments.
- For people who have completed treatment recently (in the last year), what precautions do they need to take? Are there any certain types of cancer who are at higher risk of complications if they contract COVID-19?
- For survivors who have completed treatment 2+ years ago, is their risk higher than the average public for their age?
- Looking farther into the future, what would be some prudent ways for cancer survivors to consider re-entering public life when social distancing measures are lifted?
National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship (NCCS)
The NCCS is answering questions from cancer patients and survivors on the coronavirus crisis.
In this week’s conversation, psychologist Dr. Imani Price speaks with a panel of cancer survivors and advocates about ways to manage anxiety, stress and grief.
Learn how to make delicious granola at home! Find the recipe HERE.
Watch Julie show you how to make it!
ONLINE WELLNESS GROUPS
We are here for you! Our survivorship team (Lindy, Julie and Gloria) is happy to talk with you by phone or email about how we can best support you during this time.
Many of the wellness groups are now meeting online. Are you interested in joining?
Email Julie and let her know which group you are interested in so we can send you the login information!STAY WELL WHILE STAYING HOME
- For ideas on how to keep moving while we are stuck at home, click HERE.
- Don’t forget about our MOVE MORE. STRESS LESS. VIRTUAL PHYSICAL ACTIVITY PROGRAM. It is never too late to join!
- For a full page of resources to exercise your brain, click HERE.
THIS WEEK’S FUNNY FINDS!
Here are some fun stories to keep you laughing! We all need something to laugh about!
- Two People Play Tennis from Their Rooftops in Italy
- Some Good News Episode 4 – John Krasinski hosts a prom online for all the 2020 Seniors!
THIS WEEK’S HEART WARMERS!
- FedEx Driver Runs onto Beach to Deliver Ring During Surf City Wedding
- Neighborhood Quarantine Flash Mob
- Four Year Old Gets 100-Car Parade after Beating Cancer
CORONAVIRUS QUICK LINKS
- Find CDC Mask Guidelines Here!
- Measures for Protecting Yourself and Others
- Hand Hygiene for Healthcare Providers
YOU ARE NOTE ALONE!
Just as a reminder, our Wellness Team is here for you! Contact us and let us know how we can support you during this time. Have a great week!
Be sure you connect with us via Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram!
We now have an Instagram page!
We also have new episodes on the Triad Cancer Connection Podcast!
- Is Takeout Food Safe? And Other Wellness Topics! 04/03/2020
- Staying Well While Staying Home 03/28/2020
- Coronavirus Cancelled Everything, So What Now? 03/20/2020
As a reminder:
Please call us before you come by the office so we can determine if you need to come or not. We want to keep all our clients safe, and our staff as well.
We are happy to talk with you at 336-760-9983. We are available from 9am – 4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am – 2pm on Fridays.