Are you wondering how to stay focused on healthy eating when you’re at home all the time? Check out the tips and recipes below!
- Food Safety FAQ!
- How to Keep Your Immune System Healthy!
- Click here for the basics of food safety at home!
- Check out this podcast interviewing Novant Health Integrative Medicine Doctor, Russ Greenfield regarding the fact that supplements are not proven to boost your immune system.
- Make sure you have some shelf-stable food in your pantry: Stock Up, Stay Calm and Carry On.
- Julie also has lots of healthy, easy-to-make recipes on her website. Find them here!
Are you wondering if it’s safe to grocery shop right now?
The short answer is that grocery shopping is necessary, and you can take some common sense precautions to keep yourself safe while getting the groceries you need.
Here are a few tips on how to handle the grocery shopping question:
- Shop only when you absolutely have to. Make a meal plan so that you only need to get groceries every 2 weeks or so, and get them delivered or order for pick up, if possible. Plan for fresh produce recipes the first week and use your freezer and canned items in the second week. In the first week you can also make recipes that are good for freezing.
- If you have to go into the grocery store, wear a mask or cloth that covers your mouth and nose
- At the store, use sanitizer as you enter the store, wipe down the cart handle, use hand sanitizer as you leave. Wash your hands as soon as you get home and after you finish putting the groceries away.
- Reusable bags are still fine to use, but consider washing them after use.
- Grocery shopping top tips
- Grocery Shopping – Minimizing Risk
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Reusable Bags
- Handling groceries
- Washing Produce
Grocery Shopping Apps!
Many of our local grocery stores offer grocery delivery or pick up. Check out the following to see how you can skip the grocery store completely and get your groceries dropped off at your porch!
- A great option is to let your friend, neighbor or family member shop for you! Write down a list and have them go to the store. You can write them a check for the balance.
- Wal-Mart has pick up and delivery
- Harris Teeter Express
- Food Lion has delivery with a 3rd party group
- Lowes Foods To Go (pick up and delivery)
- Instacart (delivers Costco, Aldi, Publix, Target, Food Lion, Total Wine and More, Lowes Foods, The Fresh Market, Sam’s Club, CVS)
- Shipt (delivers Costco, Lidl, CVS, Harris Teeter, Lowes, Office Depot, Publix, Target)
Also, some farmers are offering porch delivery! Harmony Ridge Farms is a local farmer doing this. If you would like to get on their list, email Isaac. Also, you can check out local farms, including strawberry sites, via this NC Farm app. Our local farmers need our support as much as possible!
Check Out Julie’s Video Interview and Articles RE: Grocery Shopping
Julie was interviewed about food safety when grocery shopping and handling food. Check out the video interview with Andy Brewer at the Northwest Area Health Education Center!
Julie blogged on this topic as well, and you can check those out here:
- Buying Groceries in a Pandemic: Don’t Stress Over That Video!!
- Grocery Shopping Follow Up and Tips on How to Make Decisions When Information is Conflicting.
If you want more information about food safety and cancer, join Julie as she leads a webinar this Thursday, April 9th at 2:30pm.
IN THIS WEBINAR, JULIE WILL DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING:
- Food Safety 101
- Special notes for immune compromised
- Cancer survivor recommendations
- Current evidence regarding COVID-19 and food safety
This webinar will be recorded and available for viewing afterwards.