In our weekly email we have been sharing ways to stay active while at home. Here are the ideas we have compiled so far!
Let’s be honest- all the news surrounding the coronavirus can be stressful. Did you know that stress can have mental and physical effects? The good news is that exercise is proven to reduce stress and improve your mood. Check out these ways to stay physically active while we are social distancing!
Virtual Chair Yoga:
- You are invited to join a VIRTUAL chair yoga class supported by Wake Forest Baptist Health on Tuesday’s at 5:30 PM. The one-hour session includes gentle movements, meditation, and relaxation along with some breathing exercises to calm and relax the mind and body. No experience is necessary! To sign up and/or receive more information, email Suzanne L. Evans, MBA/MHA, RYT500. Once signed up, you will receive a link via email to join the group.
- NC Cooperative Extension- A wonderful resource that each county has is the NC Cooperative Extension! Find your county’s webpage by putting the county name at the beginning of this web address: YOUR COUNTY .ces.ncsu.edu/. For example, Forsyth County website is forsyth.ces.ncsu.edu and Davie county is davie.ces.ncsu.edu (do not use www with these!). They each provide advice, soil testing, insect identification and holding information sessions online. Call to find out what your county is offering!
- Cornell’s Vegetable MD Online – This page can help problem-solve when your vegetables are not growing as expected.
- Sprouting Seeds At Home
Links and Ideas:
- Virginia is one of our volunteers who teaches a dance class for our Spanish speaking clients on Monday nights. She recorded a video for us to do dance with her from home! Check it out and get your exercise! Follow along, or make up your own moves. That’s the great thing about dancing at home!!
- Join Angela Gallagher, from North Joy Yoga as she teaches her yoga for cancer classes virtually on Wednesdays at 9am and 5pm. If you would like to join these classes, please email Angela at email@example.com.
- 30-minute gentle, accessible yoga and meditation practices with Debra Benfield, a local yoga instructor who also is a dietitian and teaches our mindful eating classes! Here is the schedule for this week:
Monday, 3/23 at 5:30P
Tuesday, 3/24 at 4P
Thursday, 3/26 at 10A
Friday, 3/27 at 2P
TO JOIN THE CLASS, CLICK THIS LINK AT THE TIME OF CLASS! (or in a zoom app, use Meeting ID: 181 014 235 and Password: 735632)
- This elementary PE teacher from Chattanooga, Coach Wood, is doing a PE video EVERY DAY during the school closings and they are super fun for kids of all ages (yes, that includes kids over 60 years old!!). (PE with Coach Wood) A great way to get your wiggles out each day for about 20 minutes. Check it out.
- YMCA NWNC is posting workouts every day on their facebook page. Find your local branch’s page here: ymcanwnc.org/yourvirtualymca. You don’t have to be a YMCA member to take advantage of this!
- Also the national YMCA offers free online workouts right now! No membership is needed to access the classes. Find them at https://ymca360.org/